Ever since I was a child, I knew I wanted to be an artist. My Air Force dad would often bring home crayons, paper, and coloring books from his TDYs. We moved around a lot when I was growing up but I always had my art supplies and beloved books in tow. In high school my art teacher, Ms. Weinstein, encouraged me to pursue art as a career. This, along with several scholarships and my family’s support, led me to the Rhode Island School of Design.
Since graduating with a BFA in Illustration, I’ve worked with several clients nationwide, including children’s book publishers, magazine publishers, media companies, cultural centers, and private collectors. I like to work on projects that build on my strong multicultural traditions, but also anything that lights the spark of imagination.
I often enjoy visiting schools, workshops, and conferences to talk with enthusiastic readers, writers, and artists of all ages about illustrating children’s books. Additionally, I frequently work as an event coordinator, creating memorable workshops for lovers of children's literature. I currently reside in historic Providence, RI.
- Nominee, The Tejas Star Book Award for Adelita and the Veggie Cousins 2012-2013
- Nominee, The Tejas Star Book Award for Baseball on Mars 2010-2011
- Nominee, The Tejas Star Book Award for We are Cousins 2009-2010
- Gold Medal Winner for The Wishing Tree, Mom’s Choice 2009
- Silver Medal Winner for Storm Codes, Mom’s Choice 2009
- Book of the Year Finalist for Storm Codes, Foreword Magazine 2007
- Honorable Mention for Storm Codes, Northeastern Minnesota Book Awards 2007
- Midwest Favorite for Storm Codes, Midwest Booksellers Association 2007
- Winner, Rhode Island School of Design Scholarship 1999-2003
- Winner, Air Force Aid Society Scholarship 1999-2003
- Winner, Airmen Memorial Foundation Scholarship 1999-2001